As the leaves turn and the air grows crisp, Halloween approaches once more. This is a fun time for costumes, candy, and spine-tingling tales of the unknown. But in the world of retirement, there’s something spookier even than ghouls and ghosts – the uncertainty of your health and increased costs as you age. We at HCG Secure want to encourage you to take control of your future now through advance care planning and avoid any of these jump scares as you age.
- The Ghost of Uncertain Health: Retirement can be a time of relaxation, exploration, and discovery. However, this time also brings unforeseen health challenges. Just like a ghost in a haunted house, health issues can pop up when you least expect them. Having an advance directive in place ensures your wishes will be understood and honored, even if you aren’t able to articulate them later in life.
- The Haunting Question of Memory Loss: One of the most spine-chilling prospects in retirement is the possibility of dementia. About one in three Americans over age 85 have some form of dementia. Advance care planning enables you to make choices about your future care while you still have the mental capacity to do so. This means you can decide where you’d like to live, who will make decisions for you, and how you want to be cared for if dementia creeps into your life.
- The Zombie Apocalypse of Medical Expenses: It’s a financial nightmare: your retirement savings slowly being devoured by the ever-rising costs of medical care. Like a horde of zombies, these expenses can seem never ending. With an advance care plan in place, you ensure your medical wishes are honored, but also plan for costs of your care. It’s a way to shield your savings from the grasp of rising healthcare costs.
- The Curse of Family Discord: You don’t want your loved ones squabbling over your care decisions when you’re unable to speak for yourself. It’s a scene to rival any horror movie. Advance care planning helps prevent family disputes by clearly outlining your preferences. This can bring greater peace of mind to your family during a potentially distressing time.
- The Trick-or-Treat of Quality of Life: In retirement, quality of life is the greatest treat of all. By planning for your future care, you can enjoy the precious moments with your family, explore new interests, and continue to savor the things you love. It’s the ultimate treat amidst the tricks life might throw your way.
This Halloween season, let the spooky tales remind you that the future is unknown, but you can take steps to ensure it’s not haunted by uncertainty. Advance care planning is the key to facing health challenges, memory loss, and financial burdens. It’s a shield against family disputes and a path to preserving quality of life in retirement. So, while you enjoy pumpkin-spiced goodies and don your costume, don’t forget to take a moment to plan for your future. Check out this blog post from HCG Secure on the planning documents you should get in place ahead of your time of need. Happy Halloween and happy planning!